Saturday 28 June 2014

Love At First Stitch, One Make a Month: June, the Megan Dress

Hey guys! 

Today I'm sharing with you my first contribution to the Love at First Stitch 'One Make a Month' sewing competition, hosted by Janet of the amazing Kitchen Table Sewing blog. Yes, you've guessed it, it's the Megan Dress! I fell in love with this pattern the minute I laid eyes on it and knew it had to be the first garment I made from Tilly's book. 

I traced the smallest size after consulting the finished garment measurements, and stitched it up over a couple of days. I'm so happy with how this dress turned out! 


The sizing is excellent, it's one of the only patterns I've ever used where I didn't have to take in the side seams to remove excess material around my bust. The fabric, which is from Fabric Rehab, I'm also really pleased with, and I've even made a matching bag! 

I wore this dress yesterday to my sixth form leaver's party and had such a good time. So many people complimented me on my dress and a couple of people even said they were impressed when they found out I'd made it, initially assuming it was shop bought! I know some sewers who hate their handmade items to be compared to ready to wear, but for me I take pleasure in the fact something I've made is, in the eyes of people around me, just as well constructed as something in a shop. 


I even wore it with my first ever pair of proper heels!

Are you taking part in the One Make a Month competition? And if so, what have you made so far? 

Beth x

7 comments:

  1. This is my next make (i think), I have just blogged my first make of the Delphine skirt, hopefully many more to come!
    It is nice to read a blog from someone starting sewing like me!
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my blog is http://scientificsewing.blogspot.co.uk/ (thought my signature would leave it!)

      Delete
    2. yes, i've been sewing my own clothes for just over seven months so still a newbie really! your delphine skirt looks lovely! i can't wait to see your megan dress :) beth

      Delete
  2. Hey Beth, Your dress looks so stylish. Congratulations on making something so lovely to wear for your leavers' do. Thanks for your kind words about my blog, too. Looking forward to seeing your next make! Janet x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, it was so nice to be able to say i'd made my own dress! it was such a good idea of yours to work through Tilly's patterns in this way, i'm really enjoying it! next up is the lilou dress i think. beth :) x

      Delete
  3. This is lovely and I love the ric-rac ribbon borders, really fun.

    ReplyDelete