Wednesday 30 July 2014

Love at First Stitch, One Make a Month: July, the Lilou Dress

Bonjour! 

Happily, it has not taken at all long to return to the delights of my sewing machine after a couple of weeks away, and I already have a finished make to show you! 


It's the Lilou Dress from Tilly's book, Love at First Stitch, made as my second installment of the One Make a Month competition Janet is hosting on her blog, Kitchen Table Sewing. 

First things first - I love this pattern. It strikes a good balance between the feminine and the practical, being suitable to wear tightless in summer months, but also up for layering over a long sleeved t shirt in colder weather. Plus, my version matches perfectly with one of my cardigans! 


I picked the fabric up at Lauren's lovely shop, Guthrie and Ghani, where I met Tilly herself in May! So it seemed only right that I make this dress from that. I think it turned out really well! 


I cut out the smallest size, and fit wise it's pretty good. The only issue I have is that it came out a couple of inches too large under my bust, where there seems to be a lot of excess fabric. But, to solve the problem, I made a matching bow belt, which tucks in the excess and adds an extra detail to the dress! I added a lining to the skirt as well, although not called for in the instructions, so it wouldn't stick to my tights. I'm glad I made the extra effort because I can see myself wearing this dress a lot in autumn and winter. All in all, I would call this a pretty successful make :) 

Big thank you to Tilly for yet another well drafted pattern, to Lauren for the fabric, and my boyfriend David who took the photos. 

What have you been making, please? 

Beth x

3 comments:

  1. Love this dress it really suits you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous dress: a really good fit and it suits you so well! I've made a dress using that fabric - it's not on my blog yet but will be soon ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much! i bet your dress looks lovely :) it's such a nice fabric to use

      Delete