Tuesday 23 December 2014

2014: A Look Back

Merry Christmas everyone!

First up, I would like to start with a little announcement - I have been sewing for one whole year! My first self-sewn garment was made in the run up to Christmas 2013 and now, twelve months later, I have a whole handmade wardrobe. Learning to sew is one of the best things I've done with my life so far and so, with 2014 coming to an end, I just wanted to take a look back over my first full sewing year and all the things I've achieved. I hope that's ok :)

The Blog

I started Sewing Soothes the Soul on the 18th April this year, inspired by the likes of Tilly and the Buttons, Kitchen Table Sewing and So Zo. Back then I still had pretty much no clue what I was doing when it came to sewing and a lot of the clothes I made don't get worn anymore. However, I owe a lot to those first failures - they helped me get to the level I'm at today. My photography skills have also developed over the year! I started off with awful selfies taken in the mirror in my bedroom, but now I've mastered remote photography with my phone so thankfully my photos don't look too bad anymore.

Favourite Posts

Reasons for Sewing

Tilly's Book Launch Party @ Guthrie and Ghani

My Signature Style

Introducing...*drumroll please*...my new Etsy shop!

Favourite Makes

Stripy Sailor Dress (Sewaholic Renfrew) - my first knit project! Super stylish stripes, and soooo comfy.






By Hand London Anna - yes, all three! I love these all so much, I'm barely ever out of them. They all fit well and are totally me.


Lisette 1419 - I adore the Peter Pan collar on this and LOVE the fact it has sleeves. This is something I always feel really nice in.

Misses (because we can't get it right all the time, right?)
 

Christmas Anna Dress - a learning curve here, sparkles just aren't me, but at least I know for the future.

Most of these, to be honest...bar the floral pinafore which came in sooooo handy during summer. These were early projects and full of mistakes, but I am ok with this though, they helped me to learn and allowed me to become a better sewer.

Finally, I would like to take the time to thank you, my readers, for all the support you have given me this year. Nine months, 64 posts and 6,129 page views in, my little blog is still going, which I would never have expected when I first set it up! I'm so glad that a few people out there find what I have to say interesting - this blog helps inspire me and I hope that it helps to inspire you too.

Have a fantastic Christmas everyone, and a wonderful new year.

All the best for 2015,

Beth x

No comments:

Post a Comment