Months after buying some totally droolworthy Liberty poplin at an astonishingly expensive £25 a metre from their store in London, I've finally got round to sewing with it.
Here is the finished result:
Regular readers are sure to have noticed by now that I have a particular soft spot for the Sewaholic Cambie, which is the pattern I paired with this awesome floral fabric.
This is my fifth Cambie, and I have to admit...three of those were practice tests for this one! They all went totally fine and are totally wearable, but I was so worried about wasting such expensive fabric I wanted to know the pattern inside out and back to front before making it up in Liberty. It's a good job I love the Cambie so much!
At the moment it's still a bit chilly here in England so for now I'm wearing the dress with my cream tights and a red cardigan, but when summer arrives it'll be perfect with my gladiator sandals.
The dress came together easily in the end, and I squeezed the dress out of as little fabric as possible so as to have enough left for another project - my mum suggests a matching bag!
I made a straight Size 0 with no fitting issues, fully lining the entire thing (all my skirts/dresses have linings to avoid the whole sticking-to-tights issue). It is most definitely the most expensive thing I have made so far, taking the record off my Dragonfly Lilou, which you can see below.
I really am a Liberty convert now, but how often I'll be able to sew with it in future depends on how much money is in my purse! It's certainly not a type of fabric that will be appearing on here regularly any time soon, but totally worth the occasional splurge. It cuts and sews so cleanly! I can't wait to try my hand at the tana lawn (I have a metre waiting to be sewn up into a Belcarra Blouse).