Tuesday 21 July 2015

Chambray Arielle Skirt

Hey guys!

Long time, no finished project. However, I have one today! 


This is the Arielle Skirt from Tilly and the Buttons. Being a gathered skirt kind of girl, I wasn't raving about this pattern when it first came out and decided to wait until I'd seen a few versions online before making my mind up. Eventually though, I took the plunge - and I am so glad I did! 


The fabric I used is a gorgeous blue-ish grey slub chambray. This was my first time sewing with chambray, but I loved it so much I've just bought some more! 


The buttons I chose are a silver grey shade which match the fabric really well. I've been sewing garments which feature buttons so much more since I upgraded my sewing machine to one with an automatic buttonhole feature! 


I chose the shorter version of the pattern, but I didn't make the hem as deep as suggested on the instructions to be on the safe side, which meant I also used 7 buttons instead of 6. 


I also added a secret inside button! Once the skirt was buttoned up, the inside flap kept peeping out of the top of the skirt, so this helps to keep it in place. There's a lining as well, so I can easily wear this skirt without worrying it will stick to my tights. Sewing the lining was such a fiddly business! I got really frustrated at one point and put the skirt to one side overnight, but the next day I approached the instructions with a fresh pair of eyes and worked my way through it. In the end, it wasn't too hard! 


I'm really happy with this skirt and so glad I chose to sew something outside of my usual comfort zone and style. I can definitely see more Arielles in my future - black needlecord, anyone? 

As always, thank you for reading, and do let me know what you've been sewing! 

Beth x

4 comments:

  1. Lovely! You look very chic. I don't have a proper project on the go at the moment, more just the finishing on a few, and some refashions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh, thank you! i hope all your refashioning goes well :) i love the ability to create something new from something old!

      Delete
  2. Love this skirt! It looks great on you - especially like the fabric choice. I'm between projects at the moment - just back from a few days away and catching up on blogs! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much! yes i have fallen head over heels in love with chambray...i've just finished a pinafore dress in some more! :)

      Delete